Monday, August 27, 2012

My Strategy For the Short Term


As noted in the subheading above, I have been interested in the lack of solid genetic evidence for mental illness, particularly schizophrenia, for 25 years and I have written several letters to psychiatric journals challenging these studies.  The past few years, I have been busy doing other things, but now I have created this blog to devote an entire website to challenging the studies that claim to show such links.  The question is just how far back and how many studies do I need to challenge?  Hundreds of genetic linkage studies have been performed, all claiming some gene or genetic loci is linked to a disorder.  None of these studies have been replicated and most are eventually, directly or indirectly, refuted by the studies that come after them.  I have already looked at two studies from the past two years. 

There were  three landmark studies from 2009 in Nature, that got the media fairly excited, with the usual “Genes found for Schizophrenia” inaccuracies.  The meager findings of these studies have already been discussed by others.  However, I think it is worth analyzing even the weak claims made by those studies, so my plan is to refute  these studies over the next couple of weeks, to eliminate even the meager claims made.  At that point, I feel we are at close to point ZERO, where I can legitimately claim that there are no valid, replicable studies showing any specific genetic link for schizophrenia to date.  That way, I can then address only the new studies to come out.  I intend to bury this waste of time, money and misinformation under the scrap heap of bad science.  Good riddance!

No comments:

Post a Comment